The Council of Rectors of Portuguese Universities (CRUP) is an entity that coordinates university education in Portugal and includes as effective members all public universities, ISCTE – Instituto Universitário de Lisboa, Universidade Católica Portuguesa and IUM – Instituto Universitário Militar in a total of 16 higher education institutions, thus seeking to constitute a core of significant representation of an important part of the national higher education system.
CRUP’s activities fall within the following axes of work:
- Ensure the coordination and global representation of the universities represented therein, without prejudice to the autonomy of each one of them;
- Collaborate in the formulation of national education, science and culture policies;
- Opinion on legislative projects that directly concern public university education;
- Opinion on budgetary issues in public university education;
- Contribute to the development of teaching, research and culture and, in general, to dignify the functions of the university and its agents, as well as to strengthen ties with similar foreign bodies;
- To comment on relevant changes in public university education.
Due to its collaborative role in the formulation of national education, science and culture policies, CRUP is represented in 38 scientific councils and consultative committees at regional and national levels, covering topics as wide as higher education, assessment and accreditation, , statistics, health, sport, economics and media regulation.
CRUP is a full member of the European Association of Universities (USA), where 47 countries are represented through their Universities, Councils of Deans and other higher education and research organizations. The Portuguese participation in the EUA allows not only a platform for constant dialogue for our Universities, but also an intervention mechanism in the definition of European education and research objectives, including a valid contribution to the research policies of the European Union.